Wednesday, February 4, 2009

sprinkler fitter for hire

Well I got the dreaded news today, unless there is some miracle of jobs popping up in the next 2 days, I'll be layed off starting next Monday. As I've said, job bids just aren't coming in, and the ones that are, are VERY cut-throat between contractors. Some are even taking jobs at a loss to ensure their guys have paychecks. When I worked with this same guy 4 years ago, I ran the inspection and service department, that was my baby. I set up the appointments, and went to these buildings with no more than a clipboard and flashlight. "Yep, your system works fine, here's your bill for $250 for my 20 minutes of work. "..........we've been trying to get that going now again lately. (long story but the origional company went bankrupt, and my old foreman bought the name and re-opened as a new company with him at the helm) We've made a few dozen calls, and have been completely shocked by the responses. Most are holding off on even spending that small amount unless they are caught by a fire marshall/inspector and forced to do so. It REALLY shows how much our economy is in the crapper when $250 is put on hold. I was offered a part time job for a few bucks at a 100 acre farm. The superintendant on this hotel job owns it and needs help, so I jumped at his offer. It won't be much, but anything will help now. Unemployment benefits max here at $265 a week, that's just under HALF of my normal TAKEHOME pay, it's gonna be a very rough and tight spring.....


Other than that giant kick in the $#@!, our new chicks will be here Sunday. Tammie got 25, but only wants to keep 15, so we're taking 3. That will put us up to an even dozen, just enough to have here, but not quite too many. Before things got tight, we went today and got a bag of starter feed, chick grit, a chick waterer, and a 50lb bag each of layer feed, cracked corn, and mash. It'll take a week or 2 for benefits to kick in, so rather than run out with no paycheck, we decided to get it now. I may run back this weekend and get bunny feed since it's cheap, I just didn't think about it while we were there. I priced rubber muck boots and leather work gloves while I was there, for when I start this farm job. I normally just wear workboots and thin jersey gloves, but working around cattle, horses, and pigs, I wanted something a bit better. Let me tell ya, it SUCKS being an ogre!!!!! Size 14 muck boots are $40 for the cheapest pair, and XL leather gloves (that barely fit) are $17. Grrrrrr what I wouldn't give some days to be 5'6" lol.

8 comments:

Barb said...

Chris, I'm so sorry about your job. It is tough out there. Everyone is afraid to spend including businesses I'm afraid. Here's hoping things will change soon.
Barb

Leasmom said...

Chris, I'm so sorry. The economy in Michigan has been in the dumps for years. I worked for two years at a job where I made $20 a day for 4 hrs of work just because it was the only job around-(I have a degree and couldn't even get a fast food job because there was so much competition for the one or two openings of any type of jobs) so I understand.I hope you'll be alright, I know you will. Good ideal on stocking up. That'll help out alot. It sound slike you'll end up at some point having your own business but good job on snagging the farm work. Good Luck!

Peggy said...

Oh Chris I am so sorry your job is ending. William and I are trying to cut expenses as his truck loads are getting harder to find. He is usually gone several weeks at a time. He was home for 4 days and left Tuesday and will be home today for 4 days. it sure hurts the pocketbook. Do you have a walmart? I get my muck boots there for $15.00. They also have work gloves. I am weird and don't wear gloves much. Husband fusses at me but I hate things on my hands

Megan said...

Seriously, I'm sorry about your job, but to make you smile, I have to ask?

A hundred acres? Are you going to play with Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too?

Ok I'm not that funny...

FarmerGeek said...

Due, that sucks, but at least you seem to have things at least worked out for now with the work on the farm and all the food you put up this past autumn. Hopefully it will pick back up soon.

Dang, your ogre feet make it expensive. I got my muck boots for $20 @ Tractor Supply (ok, i know, but its right there!)

Edain said...

Sorry about the job and congrats on the job..lol.. At least you will have some money coming in, as my Gran used to say..'it will keep the wolf from the door.'
Thinking of you and yours.

Chris W said...

No idea how long the slump is gonna last really. Talking to the plumbers today, this is the only job they have going too. It's rough all over. I talked to my friend with the 14 acres nearby, and he may be losing it due to layoffs in the same trade as me.

I'm not losing it yet, just trying to come up with other options...keep your fingers crossed!

scoutinlife said...

Prayers for the family! I wasw laid off last winter it's tuff.. Still trying to recover one day at a time!

Blog Archive