Friday, May 21, 2010

What's that bright thing in the sky???

FINALLY FINALLY this rain and cool weather has given me a break. Yesterday was sunny and near 80. The plan was to mow the worthless grass since it was 2 days away from needing bailed, but the always spring-finicky Loboy didn't want to start. I charged the battery, changed the oil, then noticed a gas leak at the carb. The leak is a simple rubber hose, but I opted to let it go for a day and use the pushmower. I figured that by the time I remove the hose, go get another one, come back, put it on, and get the tractor started, I could just go ahead and mow. It's been 11 years since I mowed the whole place with a pushmower, and lemme tell ya, I forgot how much walking that is! I imagine it wouldn't have been so bad if the grass wasn't 8-9 inches tall in a few spots, but I got it done. Today I'll definitly get the tractor running. I'm not doing that again.


It was nice in a way though; walking along instead of riding on the tractor. I payed more attention to things. I noticed three anthills that I would have missed. I noticed that the tiny blueberry bush is setting berries. I noticed how much the grapes have grown in just the past few weeks since we had the last actual look at sunshine. I noticed the name written on the wreath in the front by the telephone pole where someone was killed 30 years ago. While it made my legs a bit weary mowing an acre with a pushmower, it was a nice break from just driving along and just paying attention to where the mowing deck was.


When I picked Lisa up from work, she of course wanted to go walking at the park. We made a half mile and my legs were just too tired from mowing. We walked back and sat at the edge of the Cuyahoga River and talked a while before we came back home. On the way, we stopped and got the extremely rare sub sandwiches and sat at our picnic table to enjoy the weather. We talked about what needed done outside and walked around the whole yard making mental notes. to ourselves and each other. We have the usual pruning and weeding to do, and I have a lot of little bed extensions to work on. Both of us love the smell of the various mints and lemon balm we have growing outside, so I'm going to expand their areas to almost double. We're both interested in experimenting with teas and using more herbs for medicinal purposes, so the expansion will work out great that way. We have three different kinds of mint right now. Spearmint, peppermint, and chocolate mint. I can't wait to get them expanded and filled out. I love the smell of them all.


There are lots of things to get done outside, the little bed expansions, the herb bed, and of course the vegetable garden and new strawberry beds. Of course, being Ohio, the weather is going to change again and start raining today and not stop until monday morning. I'll use the weekend to catch up on the things to sell at the flea market next weekend, then have the week to get as much done as I possibly can. It's going to be a long,hard week but I can't wait. I live for this stuff. Sitting around idle makes me insane. I can finally catch up, get some sun and fresh air, and enjoy myself outside.


To get away from my normal blog material for a minute, I have to say goodbye to an old friend who we lost last weekend.Though I never actually knew the man, he has been a part of my life for 30 years. I have many memories of him in song and of those I have seen in person. I am actually in the beginning of day four of my own tribute to him, playing many cd's from my collection of him on vocals. Most people don't understand my view and my passion of my music. It touches me. It moves me. It makes me angry, happy, or just plain want to move and sing at the top of my lungs. His music has never been an exception thoroughout his entire career, whether it was Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, his solo recordings, or Heaven and Hell. His lyrics, his incredible singing style, his massive stage presence, all of them encompass who he was. He lived for music and for the fans. I'll forever be grateful to enjoy his music and to have the opportunity to say I've seen him live. Ronnie James Dio, you will never be forgotten.

1 comment:

Vee said...

Now that we have 2 acres, we really shouldn't have waited to mow because all we have is a push mower. Just seems like the grass sprang up overnight, middle of the week, of course. Hubby will be borrowing a neighbor's lawnmower this weekend to get it to a manageable size (now about 18 inches in places). Vikki at http://vikkisverandah.blogspot.com

Blog Archive