Thursday, May 14, 2009

No title, just me typin

There really hasnt been much going on the past few days. It's been raining off and on, so some things are just waiting for the weather to break and stay somewhat consistant.

I spent half of Tuesday at my mom n' dads, running the weedeater in their ditch and helping with a few other things that they needed done. I have to get out there sometime soon with a chainsaw and my uncles big tractor with the loader, and take down an ugly old bush/shrub thing and a small tree or 2, then take apart and old 8x8 flowerbed surrounded by railroad ties. The ties will be coming here with the other 3 they want rid of, and the soil will be put in holes where they had some tree stumps ground out. I still have to finish cleaning all the junk out of the old barn before it completely collapses,most of which will just be off to a scrapyard. Dad still complains about the barn being neglected after he retired, (we WONT go down that road, lol), and that if the roof had been replaced, it would still be in good shape. LOL that thing was there when they bought the place in '62, and dad even remembers there being a pony in it when he was a teenager.....ummmm yea, it's had it's life. The thing has sank further into the ground every year, and dad just kept cutting more off the bottom of the doors to make up for it, lol, silly old fart.

Wow do I get sidetracked, lol. Anyway.....behind the barn is a large area, roughly 20x20, thats nothing but wild blackberries. When I was there, I dug up 10 buckets of small starts and brought them home. I dropped off half of them to our friend Tammie, and planted the rest here along the parking area in the front. If they take well, I'll get more on my next trip and make another area for them. I gotta keep with my new motto, right? "less to mow-more to eat" I like it that way. Every time I dig a new hole and put something in it, it's a little less time and gasoline I use to trim useless grass. Maybe I should just start using the new term "edible landscaping" lol. Give vegetable and fruit gardens a fancy new name and its the most trendy thing since parachute pants and mullets. (bad 80's memories anyone? LOL)


The Lowboy is still giving me problems. I got a new battery for it yesterday since the state upped my weekly benefits by $25 and sent a check for the back retro-active. It's kinda got me stymied.....take the belt off the starter and it spins like mad, put it back on, and it acts like it doesnt have the torque to do anything, grrrrr. I'll mess with it more tomorrow if the weather agree's with me. I just decided to give it a rest today and spend the day inside catching up on laundry, cleaning, and dishes. I might as well do all that, afterall, I'm stuck at home. There's no sense in letting it sit for Lisa to do after working all day. Yep, I'm house-hubby during this layoff, lol.

Over the weekend, we'll be starting some of the other garden plants, and I'll be digging out camping gear. The 1st weekend of next month, we're getting together with a bunch of friends for a 3 day weekend at my buddy's place in southern Ohio. He has 70some acres, so we all bring tents and stay there. YAY!!!!!!!!!! I finally get to use the new tent I got for Christmas 2 years ago, other than set up in our own yard, lol. There are friends coming in from all over the US again, so it should be a good group. We haven't had one of these for 3 years, so we're all pretty excited about it. Camping+on a working farm+good friends+bonfires+good food.....I can't wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about getting excited about meeting your old friends. We have a group of 8 couples who meet every summer in different places to visit and catch up on each other's news. This year we are going to Greenwood Lake in Greenwood, SC. Can't wait!! I applaud you for being a house-hubby! that is very considerate and sweet....debbie

Unknown said...

Sounds like a heck of a good time Chris!
And I like your edible landscaping idea.....ALOT!!

Blog Archive