Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fun weekend

Saturday morning I took Lisa to work, ran back home to get cages and the address, then went to get the freebie roosters. I was going to get all 6 that were available, but she said that somone had called crying, wanting one for a pet, (PET rooster? LOL), and asked if I minded only taking 5. I was fine with that and took them. We talked a bit, and I added her as a member to our local homesteading group. Now when she gets some kind of farm animals that need a home, she can check with us first. Hopefully it works out well for all of us....and maybe more for our freezer, lol. Before I took her to work, we realized that we really didnt have room in the freezer for all 5, so I called Divahick and Farmergeek and offered 2, which they gladly accepted.
I got the birds home and put them in the opposite side of the garage, then came inside for a bit. After I realized that I had 2 more hours before I had to pick Lisa up , I got a big steaming cup of coffee and set to work on the first bird. I have a turkey frier that I haven't used in a while, so I used the burner with a big stockpot on it to heat water for plucking. It worked GREAT. I really didnt have a table set up to do any butchering, and definitly didn't want to use my workbench, so I just nailed a piece of scrap plywood on a sawhorse, and cleaned the first one. I gotta admit, this was actually my first time killing and cleaning a chicken, but it went different than cleaning a pheasant or duck at all. To avoid neighbors seeing anything, I was in front of the garage doors, behind the wood pile, with the big open field to the left. After a quick hatchet guillitine, I tossed the bird in an empty 55 gallon drum rather than let him flop around the yard. Cleaning went really well. A little rusty, but well. I got the bird completely cleaned and rinsed, and in cold water then went to get Lisa.

When we got back, she washed and rinsed the 1st one while I set to work on the others. Farmergeek called back and asked if I would mind cleaning their 2 since he was feeling sick, so I cleaned the next 2, and Lisa cleaned and wrapped the birds for them. The sawhorse rigged tabletop was a bit low for me, and my lower back was screaming, so I let the last 2 go till this morning. I sent FG a text and invited them to dinner, so we all had the 1st bird with all the fixin's. Everything was good, just a tad dry since they didnt have time to eat......well....they had time after we sat and talked and drank coffee for an hour or more, lol. Ah well, the dumplins were a bit dry and their dog probably made a mess in the crate at home, we had fun. Lots of stories and laughs, some of which Lisa and I carried through the night when my friend Bill came over. After the 2 of us saying "squeaky wheels!!" back and forth a few times, Bill finally asked what the hell we were talking about, hahaha. I guess we didnt quite tell your story as funny. Though he did laugh like hell at the story of your friend looking for sky-bound "bidgemops".....hahahahahah great time guys, glad ya came over.
Today I finished the other 2 birds, then finished the 5 gallon buckets. YAY no more pickle smell!!! One is full of brown sugar, one full of white sugar, and another of bread flour. The other order of new buckets should be here this week, so they'll be packed with rice, more flour, beans, and homemade noodles. Lisa spent the entire day from 9am till about 6pm in the kitchen baking again. She made the usual 4 loaves of bread for the week, plus she made biscuits to freeze (6 dozen), donuts, some new kind of sweet cornmeal muffins, and more of her vegetable tomoto soup that I inhale as fast as she makes. Everything but the muffins are for the freezer or canner again, so it was another productive day for her and her food preps.

Right now she's feeding the pack 'o hounds and letting them out, starting some coffee, then we're gonna settle down to the table and play some scrabble. I'm really beginning to enjoy not having cable. I did decide to keep the cable internet for now, just because I cant get this ^$&^#(*@ wireless card to work in the desktop. Though not my origional plan, dropping the digital cable and just leaving this took the bill from $115 to just $42. I'm happy with that $73 difference. to the table to get my ass whooped by the Scrabble Queen....just ask her, she'll tell ya thats her name, lol.


Angie said...

Great blog, i have been coming and reading for a while, you 2 have got to be the most productive people around!! I never thought of putting the chicken in a barrel....great idea! How long does the 5 gallon buckets keep your food fresh for? Great idea there too.

Chris W said...

Thanks Angie! The food should last a good year or more in the barrels since they have sealing lids, that was the plan. Even with the best bags tied and taped, we've still had occasions where we got the little mealy worms or moths, so this will eliminate that. Plus with the sometimes humid Ohio summer coming, we won't have to be concerned about moisture. Imagine how much moisture a 25lb bag of brown sugar would suck up! LOL just the little bags turn into boat anchors.

FarmerGeek said...

I maintain that I was sick (still am a bit). By the time we got home, I had to crash out for 12 hours or so. I do apologize about the changing our mind about not eating, but tell Lisa that the food was still really good! (even if I/we did cause it to be a bit dry)

Of course, hanging out caused us to have to drive 10-20 mph home since nobody had cleaned their roads yet and it was snowing to beat the band.

One thing about storing the sugar and brown sugar. If it does look like they are getting any moisture in them when you open to get anything out, you can always stick pieces of terra cotta in them (the little pieces that you put under plant pots work well. They suck up the moisture really well.

Thanks again for the roo's and the dinner. Some time, we will have to have you come down and we will return the favor!

Chris W said...

Anytime Farmergeek, we'd be happy to see your place. Tell Divahick that Lisa found some holiday cookie cutters for her and we'll just mail 'em to her. They're an easter egg, an easter bunny, and a few different sized heart shapes. Not much call for kid kinda cookies here with a 23 and 24 year old, LOL.

As far as moisture, I have a bunch of those little disacant packs and a never ending source for them. So each bucket has a few inside with some bay leaves just in case of little critters.

Patrice Farmer said...

Wow, ya'll did alot. That was great that you killed/cleaned the chickens so fast. And Lisa is amazing!!! I hope to be like her some day. Keep up the good work you guys!

Chris W said...

LOL Patrice, if ya dont catch my last post about her blog, go check it out. She st her own today :

Blog Archive